Factions Placing sponges next to a claimed chunk remove the water inside the chunk.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mathias_V, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Mathias_V

Mathias_V Member
    PREMIUM

Server: Factions
    Your in-game name: Mathias_V
    Time and date of bug: 08/04/2019
    How to re-create this bug?: Place a sponge next to water, the water has to be in a claimed chunk.
    Extra information?: The sponge isn't suposed to remove the water since it's in someone els his land.

2. Erik B

Erik B Member

Sounds to be a great bug :p

3. Mathias_V

Mathias_V Member
    PREMIUM

4. Erik B

Erik B Member

You're right it's an annoyance, but I think it's normal behaviour. It seems you need to claim at least 1 extra chunk outside the wall to be at least fairly safe. One block is not enough. I was once attacked by a pack of OP players on a faction server, several of these combined OP features bought from the server with hacked clients. The day I started hating /fly on factions, but I learned a lot from that attack. The most important is to always use true water blocks and flood everything. Imagine surrounding your base with two chunks wide water from bedrock to sky and some extra barriers (e.g. cactus pillars) in the nearest chunk. Not that I think you'd expect any serious threats on cwoare though.

5. Mathias_V

Mathias_V Member
    PREMIUM

I think it shouldn't be possible since it's claimed ;). But besides that now they can pull blocks out of my claimed chunk which is not supposed to happen I think. And really strange is that a piston can work through a chunk border if it goes through water (http://prntscr.com/nuluke). This way they can pull blocks out of my outer wall to make it dry.

6. Erik B

Erik B Member

Yes, if there are blocks pushed in, he first pushed one block inside your faction (inside the water) and then moved the piston one block closer and pushed again. This wasn't very smart though, as he could first have pushed a solid block into the water and then moved up a block and pushed sand blocks to open up a gate of sand which then would be easy to TNT.

Is the wall regenerating? In that case, the annoyance is great for you

If I may, I suggest you flood at least 1 chunk outside the wall even if you don't have the power to claim it. The work required to clear the water would discourage most casual players I think. Flooding can be done with a wall of ice which you smash from the bottom up, swimming inside.

edit:
    If you flood, all the work the attackers have done is easy to undo by just smash their blocks, regenerating true water blocks. Unless they claim that is.

#6 Erik B, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. Mathias_V

Mathias_V Member
    PREMIUM

I was wrong about the pushing, it's the piston head that can cross a chunk border if there is water in the other chunk. So they can block water with the piston head or pull blocks out with a sticky piston, or they can pull a block out of a chunk that's touching the chunk border.

I understand that a "water wall" is a good plan, but I have an 11x11 chunk big base so I think that would cause some lag if I would fill 48 chunks with water (with a next base I might do it tho).

If you want I can tpa you to the base so you can check it out, tho the sponges and pistons aren't the biggest problem since it's just the outer wall. The biggest problem are ppl who use ender pearls or boats to get through walls.

8. Erik B

Erik B Member

I'd love to see your base :)

I'm pretty sure he can push sand blocks right into your base. Obsidian may stop it though.

I'm not convinced placing water blocks will cause lag, You hear sometimes that running water can cause lag, but there's not any conclusive evidence for it. On my own experiment server, I wiped spawn and building areas completely free from blocks with WorldEdit. In the surroundings, I flooded all caves to stop mobs from spawning. Surprisingly, I got pretty heavy lag in the empty areas where I only kept bedrock. It turns out you need to fill air blocks in the bedrock layer with blocks. The big issue, however, was wrong lightning. I used a plugin to correct the lightning - LightCleaner - and the lag was gone. So, I believe you can fill a 11x11 chunks large area with water blocks without issues as long as you only replace air. Replacing solid blocks with air or water will give lightning errors, at least this is what I think :p.